Technology has indeed had a significant impact on people over the years. It won’t be wrong to say that we rely on technology even to do our most straightforward tasks. With so much reliance on tech-based gadgets, the world has seen a revolution – and so has the world of music. Atlanta is one of the primary musical hubs in the US that has produced some of the finest musicians of all time. Speaking of music, whether you are a professional or still at a learning stage, understanding the impact technology has on the field is quite essential. We will discuss in detail the things that have impacted music and how you can handle this change.
Since the start of mankind, singing and playing music has been a notable source of entertainment. Whether you are royalty or someone who works for them, singing and listening to people sing has been an everyday norm. Over the years, changes in modern technology, gadgets, and type of music have entirely revolutionized the way we enjoy it today. Before we jump on differences, it is better to discuss the inventions and how people listen to music versus now.
- Before the invention of musical instruments, people enjoyed melodies live as musicians played them.
- Phonograms and record players were the source of music from the 1800s till 1940.
- Till the 80s, people entertained themselves through radio and cassettes. 8-track was also a thing back in the day.
- From the 1980s till the early 2000s, people used CDs, walkman and mp3 players to enjoy their favorite music.
- After the invention of smartphones, music is available on different apps and streaming websites.
Over the last decade or so, the way people interact with music has completely changed. The days of waiting for your favorite jingles on the radio or listening to cassettes are over. A legacy that started from mp3 players and CDs has changed into Bluetooth, music apps on the phone, and internet downloads. Let’s talk about a few ways technology has impacted music:
- Gone are the days when you spent hours at the local store finding the cassettes with the right playlist for your trip or when you spent hours labeling CDs and putting them in the fanciest case of all time. The launch of music streaming platforms like SoundCloud, Apple Music, Spotify, Google Music, and others has made it possible for people to easily access millions of songs worldwide within seconds.
- Other than the concept of cassettes and CDs going South, people have also seen a considerable change in the way we wait for a soundtrack. No one waits for the exact date when the song is released and makes its way on the chart. Fans simply search Google or check out the social pages of their favorite celebrity.
- Similarly, music lessons have also become much more accessible and advanced. You do not have to drive around the town looking for the perfect teacher. Websites, social media, and Google reviews have made it much easier for people to choose someone. For instance, if you want to take private violin lessons in Atlanta, simply Google it to find the best ones around.
- Earlier, the promotion of music was really different from what we see now. Musicians posted ads on newspapers, billboards and also advertised their music on a radio channel. However, these methods have changed to advanced versions like social media posting, attending podcasts, and of course, making a statement that goes viral.
- You can also check the personal website of a certain celebrity to find out what they are doing and the upcoming music. A lot of celebrities even offer paid sessions to super fans and special guests to review their music.
- Music streaming platforms allow people (celebrities and otherwise) to start a music career. You really don’t have to spend any money. Still, with proper marketing, you can produce, upload, market, and launch your very own music. Still, think that the days when you would spend months (even years) to find a sponsor or someone to launch your music was good? As a gone era, yes, maybe. But as a more facilitated time than today? No, not really!
- Thanks to online platforms, people now feel much closer to their favorite artists. Insta stories or snaps about what’s going on with the latest tracks or in their life. Unlike in older times, artists have more control over their music and its launch in the market.
- It is now easier for celebrities to notice what their fans are up to. For instance, if you want to honor them by singing their song, just sing it, upload it, and tag it. The next thing you know is that your version is not just acknowledged but also shared by them!
- With music becoming such a common part of the majority of lives, there are certain drawbacks to the situation. A major issue that seems quite common among this razzling dazzling is piracy. Many artists and companies are sued for millions of dollars due to piracy and copyright violation.
- Illegal music sites, copying someone’s music, or simply uploading a track without their permission has led many people to courts for compensation.
- Thieving original material has become very common. However, cybersecurity has established laws against it, and someone found guilty could be charged with a hefty amount.
- If you had a staggering talent for something in older days, only then the chances for success increased. However, it has become easier for people to fulfill their dream of becoming a musician. K-pop, rock, metal, pop, electric pop, smooth jazz, hip-hop, country is some of the many genres. You don’t need to be an all-rounder to succeed. Simply pick something that suits you, consider taking private voice lessons in Atlanta, and launch your music.
- Auto-tune also helps smooth out the music. It gives the artists the ability to distort their voices and make them more attractive for the users. A lot of them – especially modern musicians autotune their tracks leading to more attractive and catchy music.
- The truth is that, despite the fact that technology appears to have “taken over” the music industry, many things remain unchanged. Traditional recording studios are still used by artists to record live instruments and backing vocalists. Audio and sound professionals are still required to set up, record, and edit the final output to suit customer needs.
- The main change is that computers enhance the music to make it sound more like what today’s customers desire. Expert audio engineers are remaking classic songs into new ones. Customers enjoy how they are blurring the boundary between what is real and what is digital. That is most likely why digital technology is being lauded as a hero in what was once a dying sector.
Billions of people listen to music every day. If you are interested in becoming a successful musician one day, modern technology has made it possible by opening many platforms. Just by keeping up with trends and technology, you can become a successful musician.