If you need a job or want to find more promising employment, you need to write a good resume. A well-written resume is the first condition for successful employment. It is a document with which you can draw attention to yourself, interest the employer in your capabilities and professional qualities, and receive an invitation to an interview. The information you provide in your resume will have to be repeated and confirmed during:
- Writing an appeal letter to the employer in order to get a job;
- Conversations with the employer by phone;
- Personal interview;
- Filling out forms and questionnaires during recruitment;
- Searching for work via the Internet.
Basic requirements for writing a resume include the following:
- Present the information succinctly, truthfully, and competently;
- Do not use abbreviations and specific terms;
- Provide the information that can be confirmed;
- Describe only the positive aspects of the work biography.
When creating a resume, you should ensure that the paper corresponds to the established structure, does not have spelling, grammatical, and punctuation errors, and contains keywords that will attract the employer’s attention. Practice shows that the ATS resume checker greatly helps with this. It has become widespread today and ensures maximum resume compliance with the employer’s requirements. So, use ATS and create a unique, high-quality resume without problems.
As for the structure of the paper, it should contain your personal data, level of education, and professional training, indicate the purpose of your job search, interests, hobbies, etc. Here is a complete list and brief description of each element of the structure in the order in which it should be presented in the resume:
- Your first and last name scanned photo;
- Address (with locality code), phone numbers. For a person living at a temporary address, it is necessary to indicate both a permanent and a temporary address;
- Goal. This is usually one sentence that expresses the purpose of obtaining a position;
- Education. In this section, you need to list in reverse chronology all the educational institutions that you have graduated from or are currently studying (except high school), indicating the names of received specialties, qualifications, level of received diplomas;
- Achievement. It is essential to indicate the rating of studies, victories in competitions, availability of diplomas with honors;
- Awards. For a student, these are personal scholarships, Olympiad winner certificates, etc.;
- Publications. This includes scientific articles, presentations at student conferences, implementation of projects;
- Experience. It is presented in reverse chronological order (the last place of work is indicated first). Specify the work’s start and end dates, the company’s name, and the position, and briefly describe the functional duties and work you had to perform. For students, it is necessary to indicate the places of industrial practice, topics of self-completed diploma and course works, and volunteer activities;
- Skills. First of all, it is necessary to indicate the skills that are important for obtaining the desired position, specify the knowledge of your specialty, the ability to use a computer, the presence of a driver’s license, etc. This section is one of the most important;
- Languages. Language names and proficiency levels should be indicated. One of the languages must be native;
- Activity. It indicates what else you are doing, in addition to studies and work, especially if it helps to emphasize your business qualities and ability to take the initiative and work in a team. This includes membership in professional and community organizations;
- Personal data. Date of birth, marital status, and personal qualities are indicated here;
- Interests and hobbies should be mentioned only if they are related to the desired job or emphasize the qualities required for it.
When writing a resume, it is necessary to understand how to present yourself properly, show favorable sides and hide undesirable ones. There are so-called perception effects that can help you:
- Halo effect. You can use this effect by describing your high achievements in other fields, even if they are not related to a specific job. This will prove you as a leader and a successful person;
- Edge effect. The trick is that the elements at the beginning and end of any text are remembered faster than the elements inside. This works with large amounts of information and even with an individual word. It is believed that if all the letters of a word are mixed up, but the first and last letters are left at random, the meaning of the word will be absolutely clear. Thus, for greater efficiency, it is best to place all important and useful information at the beginning and the end of your resume;
- From the institute bench. Do you have an honors degree? Be sure to specify it! Do you have two higher educations? Feel free to indicate it too! Professional courses (directly related to the future specialty), computer, and language courses must also be specified. Focus on what you are going to develop your career with. An educated person differs from an uneducated one in that he always considers his education unfinished.
In conclusion, we should note that in today’s world, many people use the Internet to search for work, and employers also post their vacancies to find employees. That is why it is vital to be able to write a resume correctly and post it on the Internet on the appropriate sites. You can use two possibilities: send your resume to employers whose vacancies interest you; place your resume in the “Resume” section. If the employer is interested in your resume, you will be invited to an interview.
Remember that when accepting a new person to a team, management will evaluate you for productivity and quality of work; independence, initiative, and persistence in completing tasks; ability to work in a team; compliance with labor discipline. So develop these qualities in yourself and get the job of your dreams!